Monday, October 05, 2009

Results

Well, I only made it through 2 of the 3 articles in over 3 hours of dedicated reading and study.  The first one was relatively interesting and philosophy jargon-free (a rarity, it seems, in these introductory texts that we are reading), only to be more than made up for by the repetitious, muddled presentation in the second (and twice as long) article.  Ugh.  I kept thinking to myself, there has to be a reason I am reading this, there just has to!  (Or, Why did the professor make me read this?  Not in a sense of, "woe is me", but instead that there really is, I am sure, something important to learn here, hidden very effectively behind all the Phil(osophy)-speak.)  I will knock out article #3 (the longest of the three!) tomorrow AM before class.

If nothing else, I got a nice quote out of the second article:

"The hubris engendered by religious dogma, political fanaticism, or (social scientific?) claims to political wisdom will most likely lead to disaster." (emphasis added)
     --Michael C. Williams, "Hobbes in International Relations: A Reconsideration", International Organization, Vol. 50, No. 2 (Spring 1996), pp. 231

I think this quote frames up quite nicely what a skeptical view of my studies towards a master's degree in social science may come to.

GJS

No comments: