Sunday, October 25, 2009

31 Posts in October

Alright, time to come clean about something else here at Garblog – I want to publish at least 31 posts this month.  I didn’t start the month with this goal in mind, and more is not always better, but about 5 days ago I noticed I was being fairly “prolific” in my output this month and thought to myself, gee, it would be neat to get to at least 31 posts on the month.

 

Obviously this does not mean that I have had to have published a post on each of the 31 days of the month – that would be tough!  But maybe I can do that for a week sometime, just for fun, or what about a post every hour for a day?  I worry that if I set these kind of relatively random, output-based goals for myself (particularly the 24 posts in 24 hours) that the quality you have come to know and expect from me in the posts here would devolve into essentially nothing more than a Twitter feed.

 

In an interesting and related development, I would like to report to you the acquisition of another nifty gadget.  I have written before of my affinity for electronic gadgets, and the latest acquisition is right in line with this.  What do you think it is?  Go ahead, ponder for a moment… OK, that’s long enough.  It’s an iPod Touch.  Why not the iPhone?  I will have to write about that another time, for it’s a bit of a tale in and of itself.  The iPod Touch gives me Wi-Fi access in the palm of my hand, so I can access e-mail and other online media like Facebook very conveniently from anywhere I can find a Wi-Fi signal…which in Taiwan is pretty much anywhere, at least in the major cities like Kaohsiung and Taipei.  It also opens up possibilities like Twitter, although I am not sure that I am really a big fan of that application.  We’ll see, I am thinking about it, at least.  The iPod touch also gives me access to Apple’s Application Store, essentially programs that run on iPhone and iPod Touch.  A few that I have already acquired include Skype (so that even though I do not have an iPhone, I can call you using the iPod touch running the Skype software, just as I can use my desktop computer that I am writing this on to make a call using Skype (although I will not be able to make a video call if I use Skype on my iPod Touch), Kindle (yes, now I can also read my e-books on the iPod Touch, and because the iPod Touch is “online,” I have instant access to my purchased e-books at Amazon that I do not have when using my actual Kindle reader – but the iPod Touch screen is much smaller than the Kindle reader’s screen, plus it is backlit, meaning more eye strain), Google Earth (haven’t tried that one yet), and Facebook (I successfully logged on and made a couple of comments using this app on the iPod touch last evening).  There are also a variety of interesting language applications, which I am always on the lookout for (ways to help me with my Chinese, that is).

 

I hope to post more in the next 2 days, but I must admit that I am under a couple of deadlines for school and work (school – papers due for classes, and work – I have a report about my first year in the Olmsted Scholar Program due), so there may not be much more in the next few days.  But, in view of my goal to get to 31 posts this month, there will be at least 9 more posts after this one before November starts!

 

GJS

No comments: