Monday, October 19, 2009

"Please allow 12 weeks for shipping and handling"

Our "stuff" arrived today. Some 70 boxes of varied household items, totaling over a ton in weight, are now in our apartment. While messy, it is nice to finally have many of the things that make a place to live feel more like a home.

Based on the departure of this shipment of good from out possession on 27 July, I figure it has been right around 84 days (12 weeks) since we have had these things. It is nice to finally not be chronically short on silverware, and the bare shelves in my study will, I'm sure, soon be happy to accept a portion of my book collection. (Let's say that at least I will be happy to see the books on the shelves!) A few pictures of the "mess" follow, photos that are fairly typical of what "arrival day" looks like when we move. Less than 2 years until we get to do it all again!


Also of note, John will be starting school this week! Each day as I prepare to head to class, he tells me, "Daddy, I know Chinese now so I am ready to go to school!" And he does know some Chinese - he can count to 10, say hello, and a few other basic rudiments. Kids here start "kindergarten" at age 3, so John is the appropriate age for this. Most of the day will be in Chinese, so I imagine he is going to have a hard time adjusting in the short term. (I know I am having a good struggle with it.) But in the long term, I am certain that this will be a great opportunity for him and he will learn a lot of Chinese. Please wish him good luck this week!


GJS

No comments: