Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The latest Gladwell

I read Malcolm Gladwell’s latest piece in The New Yorker this morning on the way to class.  You can read it here.  It talks about dog fighting, Michael Vick, the NFL, concussive brain injury…there’s a few key words to tease you.  The information about the effect of repetitive head-hitting on brain damage and early-onset dementia makes me happy that I never really played football as a youth, although I have been concussed.  I also saw in the magazine that Gladwell has a new book coming out in less than a week (October 20).  I’ll be getting that one on release day via Kindle, oh yeah!  His new book will actually be the first book he has written that I will have when it is new.  Certainly, I’ve read (listened to the audiobook, really) Outliers and am currently making my way through the Blink audiobook , but these I came to well after they were new.  (Speaking of Blink, I hope to have a few comments to post here about it once I am done with it, which may be as early as next week.  I know you can’t wait to hear what I have to say about it!)

 

If you are currently reading any of Gladwell’s books (and it would seem that a lot of folks are, since as you can see here, Outliers remains in the top 10 on The New York Times hardcover nonfiction bestseller list, almost a year after it was published, to say nothing of Blink, which stands at #8 on the nonfiction paperback list, a 103-week – and counting – run), over at his website there are some interesting companion “guides” that you might want to check out.  I’m just saying…

 

GJS

No comments: