Thursday, February 18, 2010

Putting the "C" in consistency...

One small step at a time.  Back out for a run this morning, went a little bit farther (maybe a little bit faster? not sure, I didn't have my GPS with me - more about that in a minute) than by run earlier this week.  Ran just over 27 minutes today, which even if I was running slow (9 min miles), should have netted me 3 miles or more.
It was fun to get out and explore the city, too.  I had forgotten all the stuff I was missing out on seeing not going out for my morning jaunts.  Despite the cool (cold? probably, for Kaohsiung, anyhow) weather, there are still plenty of old folks out in the park doing tai chi or just walking.  Everyone was so bundled up, they were giving me crazy looks for being out in shorts (once I got going, I was plenty warm, and even needed to take off the light windbreaker I had on when I left the building).  On my run I found a park not far from where we live that has swings - John's favorite playground equipment. (The park across the street from our building has a playground area, but it does not have swings.)
Good thing I went to run when I did - out the window now I can see light rain / coming down.  That may put a damper on our hoped-for plans later this afternoon - it's an outside activity.
About the GPS - I like the data the device gives me about distance speed, heart rate, etc., but I must admit that strapping all the gear on, then waiting for the device to acquire the signal from the satellites is a bit tiresome, and right now the last thing I need is for something to dissuade me from getting out the door.  I do like to have the “pretty picture” of my route that it give me, though.  I will probably start using it again next week.
GJS

No comments: