Monday, March 01, 2010

Today's run in Kaohsiung

I successfully integrated the use of the GPS back into my running routine today for the first time since my “comeback” began 2 weeks ago.  Only one obstacle remains – getting the device to record my heart rate again (it may be the case that the chest strap’s battery is dead – unlike the wrist unit, the chest strap’s battery is not rechargeable).  Nonetheless, this solves a few remaining “mysteries” about my running since I have started again, namely, how far and how fast?  Not bad for only being back in running shoes for a couple weeks.

I learned another thing today – it is already getting really hot here!  I will definitely have to start getting out the door on my runs earlier in the day.  By the time I finished my workout, the heat index was already approaching 90° F!  I could have used a little of the cooler weather we were having a couple weeks back.

The heat made me think about the folks I saw running in the Kaohsiung marathon yesterday.  The race didn’t start until 7 AM (pretty late, all things considered), so even reasonably fast “normal” people would still be out running at 10 and 11 AM.  Running a marathon here successfully certainly would require successful acclimatization and following a smart hydration plan.  Something to think about if I want to try to run the race in 2011…

Posted via email from gjsamps's posterous

No comments: