Saturday, March 20, 2010

HIT it! #running #Kaohsiung

A friend sent me a note today that included a recent article from Science Daily talking about high intensity training (HIT).  He sent it because he recently read my post about the challenges in avoiding the onset of a sedentary lifestyle and he felt that this article and the type of training it describes, designed to give you “more bang for the buck” for the amount of time you have to exercise, might be a good choice to help me on my “comeback.” 

His note and the article motivated me to get out and do some HIT running today.  I figured having the opportunity to run today in and of itself was a gift, since we are currently in the final stages of waiting for our new child to be born (his due date was March 18).  I imagined that I would probably be at the hospital by now, involved in assisting my wife in the birthing process and there would be no time for a run.

This type of training is not new to me.  As a trained exercise scientist (BS – Exercise Science, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, 2004), this is something I have seen before.  I know that it works and why.  As with so many things, it’s just a matter of getting out there and doing it.

So I did.  The Science Daily article said that heart rates (HR) should be at 95% of max to obtain the positive training effects.  Looks like I was there for several of the intervals. (The sort of brown colored line in the above graphic represents % HR max (HRM).  From about interval number 5 on – at about 25 minutes into the run - I was peaking at 95% HRM and above.)  I did 10 x (1 min hard run, 2 min easy run).  With warm up and cool down jogging, the run was over 5.5 miles and 45 min.  As with my most recent run earlier this week, there was no doubt in my mind when I was done that I had done some work.  See all the details here.

Thanks for the reminder about HIT, I needed that!

Posted via email from gjsamps's posterous

No comments: