Monday, July 12, 2010

A ride with Cascade in mind

I've decided that this week is going to be a "big bike week" for me. (Weather-permitting, of course.)  To start off the week, in honor of my good friend Mark S. tackling a ridiculously challenging mountain bike race in Oregon featuring 50% singletrack and 18,000 feet of climbing over a 100-mile off-road course, I decided to do some hills.  Unfortunately for me, there aren't many around here, so I had to go with what it available in Kaohsiung.  That pretty much means the small mountains near the National Sun Yat-sen University (國立中山大學) campus at Sizihwan (西子灣).  Shoushan (壽山) is where the city's zoo is at, and Chaishan (柴山) is home to numerous Formosan Macaques (I only saw one today, though).  

Compared to the 100 miles of distance and 18,000 feet my friend just did out in Oregon, it's pretty modest, but since I mostly stick to the flats, it was a good workout for me nonetheless.

Here are a few pics I took of Kaohsiung harbor from near the entrance to Martyr's Shrine (忠烈祠) on Shoushan:

Here are a few from the coastline on Chaishan:

More rides to come later this week!

Posted via email from gjsamps's posterous

No comments: