Monday, July 12, 2010

Five months of training

This week marks five months since I resumed training in mid-February 2010.  It’s gone remarkably well, although not all has been according to plan.  For instance, at the end of June I missed about 10 days of workouts while crashing on a mess of term papers and other end-of-semester requirements.  I’ve been back at things now regularly for about that same amount of time, and already the next impingement on training looms – an upcoming trip to China.  I’ve already modified my planned workouts before the trip, focusing this week on cycling almost exclusively (if the weather holds) since I will be away from my bike for about 3 weeks, all told.  I figure while we are traveling I can still run and swim fairly easily using facilities that will likely be available at our various lodgings.

June was when I returned to cycling after about a year out of the saddle and also when I ran my semi-annual required physical fitness test for my employer.  The cycling is going well, and the fitness test was pretty good, too (indeed, the requirement that I take it during the first half of the year was one of the big factors that finally got me back out the door running in February – that and the general feeling of malaise and lethargy that comes when I don’t exercise, that feeling that I hate so much).

Let’s review June’s training (previous posts along these same lines dealt with cycling in June, May’s run training [this post only dealt with running for that’s all I was doing then, but since then I have added cycling and swimming!], and my two-month training re-cap, filed in mid-April) by taking a look at the training calendar:

I'm getting more colors on there! (It used to be all blue for running, but now I have running, biking, and swimming!)  And here are the totals for June:

I'm doing fairly well on the running (my mainstay) and the cycling, but I need to be more consistent with the swimming.  I enjoy the swims I do, but I just don't go often enough.  There is room for improvement here.

Over the five months of training, I’ve put in a total of 63 workouts in over 57 hours of training, moved over 530 miles, climbed over the equivalent height of Mount Everest (interesting how the climbing accumulates, given how flat it is around here!), and burned an estimated 51,000+ calories!  I will probably at least double all of these measures in continued training between now and my scheduled Half-Ironman triathlon race on October 30, 2010.  

Posted via email from gjsamps's posterous

No comments: