Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Heading out to Fangliao (枋寮)

Big cycling milestone today - a metric century! (100 km)  This is the first time I've rode this far all in one shot since April 2008, when I rode the John B. Kelley Haleiwa Metric Century Ride in Hawaii.  Here was today's route, a simple out-and-back south from Kaohsiung:

I managed to get a few pics along the way, the theme being the ever-present (but not always clearly visible) mountain range that forms the spine of Taiwan along its eastern flank.  At some point I will be riding long enough to reach them, although today was not that day.

Preparing to cross the Gaoping River on the way out, sizing up the mountains

A few shots taken from the bridge from Linbian to Jiadong

The view from Fangliao

Looking at the map now, it appears that highway 198, which I passed today in Fangliao, would take me up into the mountains visible in the last set of photos.  I'll have to give that one a try on another ride!

Posted via email from gjsamps's posterous

No comments: