Thursday, April 29, 2010

Discover the Jurassic Period

That's the name of the dinosaur exhibit John and I checked out today.  John had already been there once when Grandma Mackeprang was here after Lance was born, but neither Barb nor I had been there yet.  Today it was just me and John - Barb took a break and rested at home.

Impressions: it was OK, if a tad expensive.  Adult tickets were NT$330 (US$10.48 at today's exchange rate) and John was free.  We were probably in the exhibit for 15, 20 minutes, tops.  A few pics:

With a "Three Horn"

Giant armored dinosaur

Bones

A scary "chicken"

John enjoyed it, but I think he wasn't as excited about seeing it the second time around.  You can see some representations of the exhibit on the display's website here: http://www.skm.com.tw/event/200912jurassic_period/content.html.  (Sorry, it's only in Chinese; just look at the pictures, it gives you a pretty good idea of what it's all about.)

After we left the exhibit, we picked up a dinosaur book for John.  He had been wanting one since he borrowed one from his school over last weekend and we used it to make some dinosaur drawings.  After we took the book back to his school earlier this week, he still wanted to make some dinosaur drawings, so we looked on his bookshelves to see if he had a dinosaur book.  With the abundance of books the boy has, I thought for sure he owned a dinosaur book.  Turns out I was wrong, so today we decided to correct this.  The book was far cheaper than admission to the display (only NT$90).  Drawback (or plus, I suppose): the book's text is all in Chinese, with "Bopomofo" phonetics (it's a way to learn Mandarin Chinese, but unfortunately, not the Hanyu Pinyin that I cut my teeth on at DLI, therefore not of a lot of use to me in "helping" me read the book.)

GJS

P.S. We found Thomas there:

No comments: