Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Speaking of things being on schedule…

…I am also on schedule to finish my latest audiobook, Fareed Zakaria's The Post-American World. It has been a very interesting book and I recommend it. Next I think I will tackle Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success, currently sitting atop the New York Times hardcover nonfiction bestseller list, making it a choice squarely from the "popular" books category. Like Zakaria's book, it is not that long (just over 7 hours of audio), and lately I have been averaging about an hour a day of listening (M-F only), so I will be able to crank through it in a week and a half or so.


 

GJS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't spend much time on the latest Gladwell offering. I read his last book -- "Blink -- and then read the Amazon.com reviews of it. One reviewer was on-target when s/he said that (paraphrasing) "it gave some good examples of times in which the phenomenon in question was used by various individuals, but didn't offer any real advice on how exactly one would go about harnessing the phenomenon in one's own life." In other words, it was "all sizzle and no steak."

Anonymous said...

By the way, I received a book-on-tape for Christmas -- Bill Bryson's "Shakespeare" biography -- and I'm enjoying the experience of being read to while driving to and from work every day. At a rate of one CD a day, I'll be done with the "book" of five CDs on Monday. It's nice to know that my various piles of unread books will dwindle ever so slightly as a result.

If only they were cheaper...