Monday, January 12, 2009

Another Long Ride

Greetings all! (大家好!)

In evaluating the (small) size of the visual aids once they posted last time I talked about riding my bike, I determined that some changes needed to be made in how that material was presented.  See below - hopefully we are moving in the right direction.  Let's talk about yesterday's ride!  Here's the map:

Map height="500" width="100%"> value="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=10087190&access_key=key-9s52f9kz0hialvwtmtx&page=1&version=1&viewMode=">    
   Publish at Scribd or explore others:        


...and a summary of the stats (see further below for the "pretty picture" that this all adds up to)...

Bike Workout 10 Jan 09 height="500" width="100%"> value="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=10085727&access_key=key-t0hig8sz6vohla3kp7i&page=1&version=1&viewMode=">    
   Publish at Scribd or explore others:        


I hope that works better for anyone interested in seeing the data.

Let's try a similar method for displaying the graph of HR, speed, and elevation versus time (the aforementioned "pretty picture").

HR height="500" width="100%"> value="http://d.scribd.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=10086669&access_key=key-13hyr6wsgp0duxgy09sc&page=1&version=1&viewMode=">    
   Publish at Scribd or explore others:        


Feeding Garblog with documents via Scribd in this way takes up more space on the page, but more importantly, it also provides a bigger view for anyone interested.  If you have a preference, please let me know (post a comment on the blog or send me an e-mail - if you know me, you know what my e-mail address is).

Anyhow, the weather was great here all weekend long, I only wish I didn't have multiple exams to study for this weekend, otherwise I could have gone out to ride again today for sure!  I decided not just to stick to the roads in and around Fort Ord this time, but instead to branch out a bit and see how far I could make it in about 2 hours.  I rode down into Monterey, near the Naval Postgraduate School, near my school (DLI), past the famous Cannery Row oceanfront area, and around the Pacific Grove seashore to what is known as 17-Mile Drive.  If I had more time, I could have rode down through Carmel-by-the-Sea and on to Pebble Beach, surely quite a scenic place to ride, but due to time constraints, I had to forgo that plan (maybe some other time) and head home.  I found a pretty fair series of hills to climb on the way back, along with the corresponding downhill sections where I got going pretty good (no doubt the origin of the 36 mph speed recorded as the ride's maximum speed).  By the time I climbed the "Three Sisters" hills leading back to where I live on Fort Ord, my legs were on the verge of cramping up, a sure sign of a good ride!

Tomorrow I begin my 16-week training program for the Big Sur International Marathon on Sunday, April 26, 2009.  Due to the running volume required by the program (I blogged on the program earlier; check the archives for more info), I don't figure I am going to be getting much riding in.  But when I have time and the energy to do so, it is clear to me that this is a good area for road cycling!  Also regarding the run training, I plan to track my workouts using the online running log available at RunnersWorld.com.  One feature of that program is a feed that can be used to post workout updates and stats to a blog, such as Garblog.  Look for those types of updates to start soon, as that I begin the program tomorrow morning with an interval workout at the track.  Standby for further details!

GJS

No comments: