Monday, June 02, 2008

2008 Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

Well, I survived it! You can see the results here:

http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/honu70.3/?show=tracker&rid=147&year=2008

Just type my race bib number, 1074, or my last name in the "Athlete Search" box and it will pull up my results. If you want to see a "clunky" version of the official results to show context to my results (you can't really see the full range of data), you can go here:

http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/honu70.3/show=raceresults&year=2008&format=htm

Sometime soon, a more user-friendly version of the official results should be available here:

http://www.ironman703hawaii.com/results/index.php

If you use either the first or last web page to search, you can select the 2006 results for me in the same race and then compare between the two performances. What you will quickly draw from such a comparison is this: I am getting slower! Here's the analysis that goes along with that, though - my base and training in 2006 was far better than what I was able to put together this year. This year, I really did almost exclusively prepare for races by racing, probably not the best way to do things, but better than nothing. I was able to run and complete the Half Ironman race yesterday, after all!

Unfortunately, I am writing this nearly 24 hours after the event finished and some of the "lessons learned" have already evaporated. However, I will try to put some hard-earned wisdom together here for your reading pleasure.

1. Always wear sunscreen when you plan to spend around 7 hours out in the Hawaii summer sun.
2. It is more fun to do a race when you have "support humans" around to share in the experience (Barb and John and Jay were here this year, unlike 2006 when I was solo).
3. It is OK to not run continuously during the half marathon, particularly when you know that you training and preparation have not been what they should have been. Walk when you need to, take a look around, enjoy the beautiful scenery and the race experience!
4. Tri Bike Transfer, a service that ships your bike to and from your local bike shop to the race venue and back without taking it apart, is a great thing! I used it this year and will use it anytime I have the opportunity to do so at future races.
5. Nutrition / hydration on the bike have to be on the clock, i.e. take electrolyte tabs at 30 minutes, eat a gel on the hour, water and sports drink as needed throughout. This worked so well for me yesterday that I actually had to stop in the Port-a-John at T2 (bike to run) to relieve myself, the first time I have actually felt the need to do that during a longer race like this one.
6. The Fairmont Orchid, adjacent to the Mauni Lani resort (host of the race) is a beautiful hotel. We'll be back.
7. It takes many hours to get from Volcano National Park around the bottom of the Big Island up to the Kohala Coast. I almost didn't make it to the race site in time the day prior to get registered, turn in gear, etc. Next time, I will do all the pre-race logistics first thing, then spend some relaxed time sightseeing after that is all taken care of.
8. Liberal use of Body Glide (an anti-chafing agent) kept me chafe-free for the duration of the event (lesson learned from a couple of weeks back at the Honolulu Triathlon).
9. Aid stations are so plentiful and well-stocked on the run course that no gels or any other sort of nutritional products need to be carried on your person. I had a gel, some Clif Blocks, and electrolyte tabs with me that I did not touch. Next time I do this race, I will go without.
10. Through the use of nutrition / hydration on the clock (as in number 5 above) and a pacing strategy that downplayed any notion of trying to beat any arbitrary clock time, it became apparent to me that it would be possible (with more preparatory training than I was able to arrange for this time around) to double these distances and complete an Ironman-distance race. Clearly, it is not an impossible feat; thousands of folks achieve an Ironman finish each year. My cousin Mike has finished a number of Ironman races. I hope that in the next 3 years, while assigned to language school and graduate school, I will be able to assign a higher priority to training, remain injury-free, and put the things in place I need to to successfully complete an Ironman race someplace out around Taiwan. They have events that I know of in Japan, China (new this year, I think), Australia, New Zealand, Singapore (I think), and maybe others. I envision doing one / some of these races as "destination events" where the family and I will travel to one of these locations, I will do the race, and then we will do some sightseeing / touring, etc.

That's about all that comes to mind right now. I am tired and sore now but happy! This Half Ironman finish, my third, was probably the most fulfilling from the standpoint of coming across the finish line and not feeling completely "destroyed" (due in large part to the more realistic pacing strategy adopted this time, but nutrition and hydration also played their parts).

I should have a few photos to post once we are back home on Oahu (cable to link the camera to the computer is there).

GJS

No comments: