Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sprint Triathlon In The Books

Another race completed. Times are uniformly slower than 2 years ago, but this year, I am just happy to be able to do these events!

Today's race was the MAG-24 Sprint Triathlon. The best part about this race is it is right here on the base I live on - it doesn't get much easier than that, in terms of getting to the race! I just rode my bike the approximately 2 miles across the base and did the race. It was a 500m swim in Kaneohe Bay, an approximately 10-mile bike leg (2 laps), and then a ~3.5 mile run.

As I alluded to above, I did this race 2 years ago (it was later in the month of May that year, about 2 weeks after John was born). Barb's sister Kristine was visiting then to help us out with newborn John and everyone came out to see me run the race. Today Barb and John came out. I think John is pretty excited about running some races of his own when he gets a little older. When I got to the run leg of the race today, he really, REALLY wanted to run along with me! Soon he will be able to...

Just FYI, I finished in about 1 hour 6 minutes 2 years ago, and in about 1 hour 15 minutes today. Like I said, I am slower, can't be helped just now.

I have another race next weekend, the Honolulu Triathlon. It's a longer race - 1500m in the water, 40k on the bike, then a 10k run to finish. Based on the fatigue I felt after today's race (significant), I am going to be really feeling that one! (to say nothing of the big animal coming up at the end of the month, the Half Ironman)

GJS

No comments: