Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Honolulu Triathlon Results

Race was Sunday, 18 May. Results are here: http://www.honolulutriathlon.com/results/2008Olympic.txt. I recommend using "Control-F" to find and then typing in "Sampson", otherwise you will be searching for a while.

Here are my after-action points for the race, written on my BlackBerry wireless device at a Starbucks location nearby the race venue in Waikiki soon after the race (not going to try to polish them up very much, but as you will see, they certainly could use some!):


***
race is over. I am sore. In chrono order:
Lost wristband was not an issue
Nice to not have to lug bike down early AM
Good to see Jason Lee there; he beat me

Swim: almost like swimming in salt water pool, it was so calm; lots of space and separation from other swimmers (wave start); chafing @ underarm during 2nd half (use bodyglide)

T1: seemed very slow; long run from ocean to transition; I dislike running barefoot on pavement (my foot bottoms are quite sensitive); somebody dumped h2O next to transition towel (was soaked)

Bike: best results when on small front chainring; seemed to go pretty fast; need to reassess fueling strat - took 3 Endurolyte pills about 15 min in and had only full-strength Gatorade to drink, ended up with sideache during most of the ride

T2: faster; wasn't sure where I needed to go to start run

Run: went out too fast because I was feeling good early on (good pacing strategy on bike contributed) and paid later on - cramping in quads slowed me significantly during 2nd lap, didn't have to stop running, but did require significant pace modulation to keep moving. Need to do better fueling on the bike and monitoring pace / HR early on to try to mitigate at Honu. Was no way I could kick @ finish b/c of fried quads.

Overall: well run and professional race, could use additional drink stations at finish (only ones I saw were h2O and Gatorade buckets in the finish chute; had to make repeated trips in to get more fluids)

***
I think getting thoughts about physical performance like a race out and recorded in some way soon after the event is important, otherwise, oftentimes it never happens and the potential lessons are lost! I see some gems in here for my preparation for the Half Ironman less than 2 weeks from now; will take them for action.

GJS

No comments: