Saturday, June 03, 2006

Pre-race jitters

The day before a big race is always hectic. This one
was no different. I was busy all day running errands,
taking care of this or that. Im finally done now and I
can rest. Hopefully Ill be able to get some sleep.

Its completely natural to be nervous before a big
event. I remember being nervous before my wedding,
before John was born, and sometimes before big
deadlines at work. This feels about the same. Ive read
that in this situation, before a big race, its good to
think back and go over all of the hard workouts that
got me to this point. There are many of them.

So what did I do today that kept me so busy? I got up
early and had a big breakfast, then hit the road to
scout out the swim venue. After that I drove the
entire bike course and annotated the major hills, etc.
Then I went to the host hotel (not whereI am staying)
and did pre-race registration. This includes signing
all manner of liability releases, getting race
numbers, timing chips, etc. By the way, you can follow
my progress at home online at www.ironmanlive.com. Its
the Honu 70.3 race, and my number is 849. Then I had
to drive back to Kailua-Kona to pick up some equipment
that the bike shop failed to return to me yesterday
when they built my bike, such as some Allen wrenches
and my cycling computer. After I got some lunch, went
to Starbucks for another tasty green tea, and got some
groceries for my pre-race breakfast (for some reason,
none of the hotel restaurants will be open tomorrow
morning at 0400!), I had to return to the host hotel
for a mandatory pre-race meeting. Then I was finally
able to come back to my hotel and finish preparing my
gear. A fine meal of chicken and pasta followed (carb
loading!), and then I made up my timeline for in the
morning before the race. Now I am watching a little
TV, relaxing a bit before trying to get some rest.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

No comments: