Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Rare Break from “The Grind”

Today DLI held a "language day" to show off what goes on there to high school students from around the region in the hopes of building interest in learning about foreign countries, their cultures, and languages (read more about past iterations of the event here or here, or better yet, check out this video news report about last year's program). This brought the unexpected windfall of a day off of class for me and my 2 tongxue (fellow students). Many of our sister classes were involved with the festivities, preparing skits and presentations to perform, but one of the (few) perks of the accelerated 50-week course that I am in is that we are generally excluded from those type of "extracurricular" requirements. I guess they feel sorry for us in all that we already have to do on a compressed timeline. I was able to take advantage of this day off and accompany John to his morning playgroup – just me and him! Mom got to go off and do other things for once – a nice break for her, too. Please enjoy a couple photos I took with my mobile phone this morning at the playgroup.




I am also working this afternoon on planning for our move. There are myriad administrative and logistical requirements for an overseas move well in excess of the "usual" stuff one experiences in a typical military move from one location in the continental US to another also in "CONUS". Should have most of it pretty much squared away by the end of the month, including medical and dental, setting up the movers, travel arrangements, etc.

GJS

No comments: