Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Promotion Photos


The promoting officer, Major Richard J. Schmidt, USMC, gives some opening remarks to the small formation before commencing the promotion.



Major Schmidt and Barb (holding John, partially obscured) remove the old rank insignia and replace it with the new Captain's bars!

The old rank is safely deposited in my hand, ready to be "round-filed."

Major Schmidt administers the oath of office to Captain Sampson.

Congratulatory handshakes all around!


My class and instructors (from L to R): Beth Kristenson, spouse of Olmsted Scholar and fellow UNL alum; Xinyi Wu, chief instructor; Sgt Chase Garcia, USMC, who read the warrant during the promotion ceremony; Naro Zheng, former instructor; LT J.D. Kristenson, USN, Olmsted Scholar-Beijing, China 2009 (also a fellow UNL alum); SSgt William Stewart, USAF, military language instructor; Captain Gary J. Sampson, USMC, Olmsted Scholar-Kaohsiung, Taiwan 2009; Major Richard J. Schmidt, USMC, promoting officer and current Spanish language course student; and Capt Lewis Vaughn, USAF, Olmsted Scholar-Nanjing, China 2009.

Interesting note: although today was the first time I had met Maj Schmidt in person, I was a student of his father at UNL.  Dr. Richard J. Schmidt is a professor of exercise physiology.  Dr. Schmidt favored me with his attendance at my commissioning ceremony in Lincoln in December 2004, and I thought it was a great touch for his son to perform my promotion today.

我非常高兴!

GJS

No comments: