Friday, February 06, 2009

PBS Nova's "The Spy Factory"

I saw a review of this documentary about the NSA in Tuesday's New York Times online.  It was slated to air on PBS Tuesday night, but unfortunately I missed it (busy studying Chinese, sorry).  Luckily for me, it is posted in its entirety on the Nova website in 5 parts; so far I have finished viewing 3 of the 5 segments.

The program prominently features author James Bamford, who has written extensively about the NSA in books like The Puzzle Palace, Body of Secrets, and his latest work, The Shadow Factory.  Sharp readers will note that the title of the documentary and this last book are almost the same.  I have read the book, and after viewing 60% of the documentary, it is clear that consuming both media will have you covering a lot of the same ground.  The documentary is pretty much the "made for TV" version of the book.  

That's all for today, further critique will have to come after I have a chance to see the other two parts.

GJS

No comments: