Thursday, April 10, 2008

Nagl to leave US Army

Army Lieutenant Colonel John Nagl, noted counterinsurgency author and up-and-coming thinker, is set to retire from the service.  Looks like this has been on the street for a while (Washington Post article linked below is from January 2008); not sure why I only came across it now.  (I usually keep up with developments such as this fairly well between all the various publications and forums I try to keep current on.)  I don't know him personally but I am familiar with his work.  This is a tremendous loss; we (the US military) need more people like him, not less.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/15/AR2008011503359.html

His latest op-ed in The New York Times (from last week) is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/opinion/02nagl.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=opinion

At least he is still planning to continue focusing on the same strategic security and counterinsurgency themes in his new think-tank job as he has in the past.

GJS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good eye, guy. I missed this one, too ... and I'm the "home" team. Doh!

I believe you gave me "How to Eat Soup with a Knife" for my birthday or Christmas or something. I read it last year. He's got a lot of good ideas, and can probably have more success developing them on the outside, even if actually implementing them will be up to someone else on the inside.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just noticed something else. I'm sure there's no other blog where one can find information on three Johns in one place: an article about John Nagl's upcoming retirement, and a picture of John Sampson learning how to do his business on the 'john'. Classy place!