Monday, July 03, 2006

Rock Show

It's come to my attention that it has been a while since I've posted anything here. That's plainly true. I've been a bit busy. Please accept my apologies and read on!

So I went to a rock show this evening. Staind, a rock band, was playing. This was a notable event for 2 reasons. First, I walked to and from the event. No, I don't mean that I drove to someplace, parked far away, and then walked. I mean that I left my house, walked briskly for about 30 minutes, and I was at the venue. The show was on base! There's this big "fest" going on called, oddly enough, Bayfest (the link is here). There are bands every night for 5 nights. Tonight was Staind. They put on a good show. Going to their show made me aware of some gaps in my record collection, namely their last 2 records. Luckily, in this day and age, I can remedy that right now! iTunes, here I come! Don't think that I forgot about mentioning the second reason that this concert was a notable event. The second reason is that now there is one less band that I have to see at some point in my life. I have had several "near-miss" occasions where I almost saw Staind live but it didn't work out, but that is no longer the case. There really aren't that many bands on the list anymore. In fact, the only one I can think of right now of fthe top of my head is Slipknot. I'm sure there are more, but not a whole lot more. I have seen most of the biggies.

I have been going to school for a few weeks now. Graduate school is demanding! There is a lot of reading and writing (go figure). Good thing I like those things. There are about 4 weeks left in the summer session.

I am training in preparation for a half marathon on October 1. I know, I know, I just did a half Ironman race, how is a plain old half marathon going to measure up to that? Well, quantitatively, it's not going to, plain as that. Qualitatively, I think that if I train properly and consistently, I could very well be looking at a new PR (that's personal record for you non-runner types out there) for that distance. The training plan that I started on this week will take me right up to the race. I have also "impressed" many of the Marines in my platoon to give it a go, too. They are going to be following a much simpler plan that I am, but that's OK, and it makes a lot of sense - they are all going to be doing their first half marathon. Me, I've been doing these events for a few years now and am ready for a bit more advanced training plan. Besides, I don't think they would want to try the plan that I am on - it's challenging! I ran nearly 30 miles on it this week, probably my biggest week of running in at least 2 years!

There is more to write about but it will have to wait at least until tomorrow. It's rack time!

No comments: