Thursday, July 06, 2006

Of Book Reviews and Blogs

I have mentioned in past posts that I am taking a class right now, on the Korean War. I have the first product of said class for your viewing pleasure today, it's a book review I wrote and you can see it here on Amazon.com, posted exactly as it was submitted for grading. Is it perfect? Certainly not. But it's not bad, particularly in comparison with its' "competition;" the submissions of the other students in the class. How do I know about them? I had to read all of them! In fact, we all had to read everyone else's review and critique them. We, in turn, are graded on our ability to critique the reviews of others. Not a bad idea at all! Anyhow, as I read some of the other reviews, I realized that mine was pretty good! Probably not the best in the class; there were some really good ones! But better than many, most perhaps. I must admit, I am a tad biased towards myself. I think that I write pretty well, most of the time. Some other people think that I do, too. After class tomorrow I will know what the instructor thinks of how I write, and then, next week, perhaps if my fellow classmates judged my review to be either one of the two best or two worst they read, then I will also know what they thought of my review! (We submit only the two reviews we thought the best and the two we rated as the worst to the professor for review of our critiquing; those will then be returned to us next week. Like I said, a rather ingenious regime that will allow many in the class to receive much feedback on their work!)

If I have time later I will write about my car. Off to study! The midterm exam is tomorrow!

No comments: